[nncoalition] Request for Comments; Net Neutrality Policy Statement(s)

LB at lucabelli.net LB at lucabelli.net
Thu Apr 9 20:26:19 CEST 2015

Dear all,

This is a Request for Comments with regard to the development of one or
more DRAFT Net Neutrality Policy Statement(s) to be discussed within the
IGF community at large.

SUBJECT:
The development of one or more DRAFT Net Neutrality Policy Statement(s)
aims at promoting the endorsement of an agreed position on net
neutrality by the IGF community, based on the Model Framework on Network
Neutrality developed by the Dynamic Coalition on Network Neutrality (DC
NN)
http://www.networkneutrality.info/sources.html

The Model Framework was presented at the 8th IGF in Bali and
subsequently delivered to the Council of Europe Steering Committee on
Media and Information Society that used it as a working document for the
elaboration of a Draft Recommendation on Net Neutrality.
http://www.coe.int/t/dghl/standardsetting/media/cdmsi/CDMSI%282013%29Misc19_en.pdf

To date, the Model Framework has been conveyed to several Parliamentary
assemblies (EU Parliament, Argentinian Senate and South Korean
Parliament) by DC NN members. However, although it has already played an
inspirational role, the model has never been officially validated by the
IGF community at-large. This lack of validation is primarily due to the
lack of an official validation process for DCs outcomes within the IGF
structure.

During the RightsCon joint meeting of the DCNN and GNN, consensus
emerged as regards the elaboration of one or more DRAFT Net Neutrality
Policy Statement(s) to be presented to the IGF MAG and discussed -  and
hopefully endorsed - by the IGF community at-large (see email below for
further info).

The development of the Policy Statement(s) will be consistent with the
Final Chair's Summary of the last IGF, according to which “The ninth
IGF concluded with looking at the role of the IGF in taking the network
neutrality discussion forward. [...] The Dynamic Coalition on Network
Neutrality will continue the discussions leading up to the 2015 meeting,
but the view was also held that there was a need to develop a process
that allowed the entire IGF community to weigh in and validate the
findings of the Dynamic Coalition.”
http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/documents/igf-meeting/igf-2014-istanbul/308-igf-2014-chairs-summary-final/file

DRAFTERS:
According to DC NN Rules of Procedure, this RFC designates two drafters
in order to “manage the elaboration of the position or statement and
consolidate received comments with the aim of achieving a consensus
document.” (http://www.networkneutrality.info/about.html)
The two individuals who volunteered as drafters are:
-	Luca Belli, DCNN Co-Chair and Researcher at the Center for Technology
and Society, FGV Rio de Janeiro
-	Michał Woźniak, Warsaw Hackerspace and Polish Linux Users Group

CALENDAR:
All interested individuals will be allowed to propose DRAFT policy
statements and to provide any comments to this RFC by 25 April.
An initial DRAFT consensus documents will be provided no later than 5
May.
Subsequently, “Members will be provided with 14 calendar days to
comment, followed by a revised draft, and 10 calendar days to comment
the revised draft,” as foreseen by the DCNN Rules of Procedure.

Ideally we should elaborate one or more Policy Statement(s) by the end
of May, so that these statements may be discussed in the widest number
of IG fora before the IGF. A calendar of all national and regional IGFs
preceding the UN IGF will be shared soon.

Thanks in advance for your comments and inputs!
All the best,
Luca